As the TODASCHUK SISTERS singing duo, Rosemarie and Charlene have captured audiences throughout North America and in Ukraine. Some of their performances include: Bicentennial Celebrations in Los Angeles, Canadian Heritage Festival’s in Vancouver, B.C. and Ontario, Canada’s National Ukrainian Festival in Dauphin, Winnipeg’s Folklorama, Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver, Ukrainian National Convention in Chicago, a grand performance before the former Governor-General of Canada Mr. and Mrs. Edward Schreyer, the Pan American Games, Stony Mountain Correctional Institution, festivals and celebrations in Montreal, Toronto and New York, two tours in Ukraine as well as many television and radio appearances. Not long ago, Rosemarie and Charlene along with their arranger and accompanist Andrew Czerny and his band from Montreal, were featured performers in the festival "Les Midis du Monde", a multicultural event in the heart of Montréal’s Place des Arts square. Rosemarie and Charlene also enjoy singing the Canadian and American anthems for many events and sports organizations like the Blue Bombers for many seasons.
The TODASCHUK SISTERS have four recording albums to their credit which have world-wide distribution:
- April, 1983, marks the release of their first album of traditional and contemporary Ukrainian songs - The Todaschuk Sisters - recorded in Montreal.
- May 1992, marks the release of their second album of traditional, contemporary and original Ukrainian songs entitled Todaschuk Sisters recorded in Winnipeg and Montreal to commemorate the Centennial of Ukrainian settlement in Canada.
- Their third CD entitled The Spirit of Ukrainian Christmas with the Todaschuk Sisters was recorded in Montreal and released in August, 2002 at Folklorama’s Kick-Off at the Lyric Theatre in Winnipeg’s Assiniboine Park. Their third album is an excellent compilation of 14 beloved Ukrainian Christmas carols. While the sisters create their own vocal arrangements, Charlene’s husband, Andrij Czerny, a professional musician who is best known for his instrumental works on the Cirque du Soleil recordings and in collaboration with many popular Quebec artists, arranged, orchestrated and performed the music on 13 of the 14 carols. Andrij is one talented musician whose creative spirit and arrangements are beautiful and impressive!
- Lovingly dedicated to the memory of their father, they celebrated the release of their fourth recording До Милої Зустрічі / Until We Meet Again at Folklorama's Ukraine-Kyiv Pavilion in August, 2013.
- In 1988 - Todaschuk Sisters are featured on the first Folklorama album "Celebration" which was nominated for a Juno award in March, 1989 and won international recognition from the International Federation of Festival Organizations for promotion of peace and friendship through music and art.
All of the selections on their dynamic recordings are performed with great sincerity. Whether singing original, traditional or contemporary compositions, Rosemarie & Charlene interpret each song beautifully and expressively. Their harmonic blend will impress you! There is warmth and intentness in their singing! They are accompanied by internationally acclaimed musicians whose traditional & contemporary arrangements are wonderfully performed. The beautiful harmonies of two sisters accompanied by modern and traditional acoustic instrumentation invite and encourage the listener to feel their passion.
The TODASCHUK SISTERS are excited about the material on their albums and hope through their performances and recordings, to continue to bolster the preservation and promotion of the Ukrainian culture in our multicultural mosaic and to introduce to the non-Ukrainian community the treasures of the Ukrainian musical heritage of our forefathers. Their albums are important contributions to the Ukrainian recording industry and are welcome additions to any library!
Rosemarie and Charlene, born and raised in Winnipeg, are both graduates of York University in Toronto: Rosemarie with a Bachelor of Fine Arts, Specialized Honours, in Music (Vocal Performance) and Charlene with a Bachelor of Arts in History. Since graduating from the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor of Education, Rosemarie is employed by Seven Oaks School Division in Winnipeg as a music teacher and theatre arts specialist. Charlene, a working artist living in Montreal, had her debut Art Exhibit in 2007 during Winnipeg’s Folklorama.
Fronting their own Jazz Trios, Rosemarie and Charlene enjoy entertaining audiences with a variety of jazz and classic standards! They have been featured on the Winnipeg and Montreal jazz scene and have been studded with many prestigious events, namely: the TD Winnipeg International Jazz Festival, Leo Mol Sculpture Gardens, Art Galleries, New Year’s Eve and Malanka Celebrations; International Wine Festivals, Lounges at various hotels and casinos, many Summer Concerts, Festivals, Charities, Corporate Galas, and, of course, various private functions. Rosemarie, no stranger to the Jazz Winnipeg Festival, has gained popularity for interpreting the personal pulse of jazz favourites. She recorded and released her debut Jazz CD to much acclaim in 2003. In 2002, Charlene was given the distinct honour of making her debut performance on the Centaur Theatre stage in Montréal. It was a most pleasant compliment to be given a singing role for its annual fundraising event Centaur Celebrates The Silver Screen. Previous demands in film, theatre, television & radio were supplied through their Toronto based agency and included Charlene’s appearance in an ESSO Canada commercial, as well as both appearing in the ABC movie “The Hearst and Davies Affair” starring Robert Mitchum. A highlight for Rosemarie in the summer of 2003 was being featured as a dancer in the Hollywood movie “Shall We Dance” with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez filmed in Winnipeg. Both sisters also enjoy emceeing at many events and festivals.
Their musical arranger, Andrij Czerny of Montreal’s “Veselka” fame, is turning out an influential style all his own…you can recognize this accordionist/ keyboardist from radio and television. Andrij, a dynamic professional musician, best known for his instrumental works on the Cirque du Soleil recordings, and whose works can be found in collaboration with Paul Piche, Robert Charlebois, the 1999 Air Canada Commercial, Cirque du Soleil (Quidam and La Nouba), and Rene Dupere, just to mention a few. Andy continues to maximize his time with the Rhythm Club Orchestra, and under his leadership they are regularly featured for wedding, corporate, and a variety of events and occasions.
A splendid performing duo with beautiful harmonies, the TODASCHUK SISTERS, along with the very creative and talented Andrew Czerny, continue to attract and entertain audiences wherever they go!
Distribution / Sales / Booking / Information, contact:
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada